Appeals (IDRP)

If you are unhappy about a decision relating to your pension, please contact us to discuss your concerns before making a formal complaint. Many problems that members have are resolved in this way. They may be the result of a misunderstanding or incorrect information, which can be explained or put right easily. An informal enquiry of this kind may save you a lot of time and trouble.

If you are still not happy you have the right to ask for the decision to be looked at again under the formal complaints procedure. The complaints procedure’s official name is the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP). The process is :

  • In the first instance you should write to the person nominated by the body who made the decision about which you wish to appeal. You must do this within six months of the date of notification of the decision, act or omission about which you are complaining (or such longer period as the nominated person considers reasonable).
  • The nominated person will consider your complaint and notify you of his or her decision. If you are dissatisfied with that decision you may, within six months of the date of the decision, apply to your local pension fund administrator to have it reconsidered by a suitably authorised officer.

I have followed IDRP but my issue is still unresolved?

If you have a complaint or dispute which has gone through IDRP, but you are still unhappy with the response, you can contact:

The Pensions Ombudsman

Telephone: 0800 917 4487


If you have general requests for information or guidance concerning your pension arrangements contact:


Moneyhelper offers impartial help and is free to use, whether that’s online or over the phone.

Opening times: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.


Telephone: 0800 011 3797